It is a surgery in which the capacity of the stomach is reduced until leaving it in about 10%. Since 1966e has been using this procedure, and for more than 30 years that is done as an option for the treatment of obesity. S It is currently the safest and most effective, which is why it is considered the “Gold Banner”.
There is a surgery called Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,
it means, the surgeon reduces the size of the stomach by means of a special stapler and divides it into two sections: A small upper bag (New stomach) and a larger lower section.
• Gastric bypass is an extremely effective technique for weight control. In the 12 to 18 months after surgery you can lose between 50% and 70% of your excess weight.
• It is a minimally invasive procedure, with long-term effects and a very short postoperative period.
• It acts simultaneously on the regulation of intake (you will feel satisfied with less food), regulation of absorption (ingested nutrients are absorbed in lesser amount) and acts on satiety centers (you will feel less hunger and anxiety).
• It is only done once, it does not require maintenance or readjustments or replacements.
• Many health problems related to morbid obesity improve or even resolve.
• The main disadvantage is that it can not be undone. Gastric bypass requires the segmentation of part of the stomach and small intestine, and these can not return to their original state.
• Side effects when eating too much or not chewing well the food that will accompany him for the rest of his life. Exceeding the capacity of your stomach will suffer discomforts such as nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
• As it is a method that modifies the absorption of nutrients, there is the possibility of suffering nutritional deficiencies. For this reason, it is advisable to supplement with vitamins and minerals for life.
Persons with a body mass index (BMI) between 35 and 40 suffering from another obesity-related disease such as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea or heart disease and those who have not achieved a substantial weight loss in the long term with conventional approaches weight reduction as a healthy diet and exercise programs.